Kasuri Ikat Weaving Workshop – October 19-21, 2012
Well, the time has come to warp our looms! Are you ready for three fantastic days of weaving fun and inspiration?
- Workshop Instructor: Beth Ross Johnson
- Dates and Time: October 19-21, 9 am – 4 pm
- Location: Williamsburg Clubhouse, 1602 Hoyt Lane, Katy, TX 77449
- Cost: $125.00/student + $10.00 supply fee ($62.50 advance deposit required to secure your space)
- Contact: Scharine @RyukyuHeritageTextiles@gmail.com
Day 1: Students will arrive with pre-warped looms. We will: 1) learn to measure & wind weft skeins; 2) learn how to resist tie our skeins; 3) dye our yarns with pre-reduced indigo & fiber reactive dyes; and, 4)study samples of kasuri ikat pattern weaving.
Day 2: We will: 1) weave three methods of weft Kasuri; 2) participate in an ikat slideshow; 3) plan our own ikat piece such as a bag or centerpiece; 4) tie & dye some more; and, 5) end the day with a demonstration of e-gasuri (figurative ikat).
Day 3: We will: 1) rejoice in our newly learned craft & weave our planned piece; 2) discuss Sakiori techniques & do some sampling; 3) participate in a demonstration of Japanese warping techniques; and, 4) end the day with a slide show of Japanese folk textiles & share the results of our work.